I turned it into this:
And then I hung my otherwise unworn, forgotten, tangled-into-a-knot-only-a-small-child-with-incredible-manual-dexterity-could-unravel necklaces on it.
How? Oh, I am so glad you asked.
1. You have to find yourself two of the ugliest canvases you've ever seen. The uglier the better. It will be that much more satisfying when you cover them up. The cheaper the better, as there's no sense using an expensive canvas that you're only going to cover up.
2. Then, spread some fabric glue in a haphazard manner and cover that sucker with leftover felt from all of those felt projects you thought you were going to make because they seemed like a good idea at the time and felt is so cheap but you didn't ever get to it so now it just takes up space in your drawer and every time you look at it, you think "curses, you useless felt."
Oh wait...that's just me?3. Pat yourself on the back for already making the world a little less ugly.
***Editor's note: My apologies to any of you who may have this canvas in your home. I'm sure you have a good reason for it. Sayyyy...I've got a great little project for you! See step 1 above.
4. Spread the fabric over the canvas making sure it's straight, then flip it over and start staple-gunning that sucker. This is where you get to punish that canvas for being so ugly. It's like a voodoo-doll for fugly.
5. Reassure yourself that un-stapled staples are not a result of your absurdly-weak arms, but rather a function of this clearly less-than-adequate staple gun.
6. Find a design on your Cricut or other such cutting device and cut that baby out. Preferably, cut it from paper you'll never use, like that stuff that comes pre-loaded in your scrapbooks, like so:
***Editor's note: My apologies to the designer of this branch and the birds; I downloaded these so long ago that I honestly don't know where they came from. If you happen to know, please pass it along so that I can give credit where credit is due!
7. Add the birds, then hang.
8. Stick some pins in the top being sure to go through the felt and hang your necklaces or shoelaces or bolo-ties from it. (Hey, who am I to judge?)
9. And if you're incredibly fickle like me, relish in the fact that you can always remove the pins and use it as wall art. Incredibly awesome wall art.