Saturday, October 2, 2010

Pile o' crap turned necklace organizer

See this pile o' crap? Two canvases from Valoo Villahge at $4.99 a pop, felt leftovers, scrap paper (both "un-needed" and "of the scrapbooking variety"), a nearly-empty bottle of ModPodge, some fabric glue that I never use, and (the only non-crap item) some gorgeous Moda newsprint fabric I got for a steal from Sew Dang Cute a while back.
I turned it into this:
And then I hung my otherwise unworn, forgotten, tangled-into-a-knot-only-a-small-child-with-incredible-manual-dexterity-could-unravel necklaces on it.

How? Oh, I am so glad you asked.

1. You have to find yourself two of the ugliest canvases you've ever seen. The uglier the better. It will be that much more satisfying when you cover them up. The cheaper the better, as there's no sense using an expensive canvas that you're only going to cover up.

2. Then, spread some fabric glue in a haphazard manner and cover that sucker with leftover felt from all of those felt projects you thought you were going to make because they seemed like a good idea at the time and felt is so cheap but you didn't ever get to it so now it just takes up space in your drawer and every time you look at it, you think "curses, you useless felt."

Oh wait...that's just me?3. Pat yourself on the back for already making the world a little less ugly.

***Editor's note: My apologies to any of you who may have this canvas in your home. I'm sure you have a good reason for it. Sayyyy...I've got a great little project for you! See step 1 above.

4. Spread the fabric over the canvas making sure it's straight, then flip it over and start staple-gunning that sucker. This is where you get to punish that canvas for being so ugly. It's like a voodoo-doll for fugly.
5. Reassure yourself that un-stapled staples are not a result of your absurdly-weak arms, but rather a function of this clearly less-than-adequate staple gun.
Et voila!
6. Find a design on your Cricut or other such cutting device and cut that baby out. Preferably, cut it from paper you'll never use, like that stuff that comes pre-loaded in your scrapbooks, like so:
***Editor's note: My apologies to the designer of this branch and the birds; I downloaded these so long ago that I honestly don't know where they came from. If you happen to know, please pass it along so that I can give credit where credit is due!

7. Add the birds, then hang.
8. Stick some pins in the top being sure to go through the felt and hang your necklaces or shoelaces or bolo-ties from it. (Hey, who am I to judge?)
9. And if you're incredibly fickle like me, relish in the fact that you can always remove the pins and use it as wall art. Incredibly awesome wall art.

Just sayin'.

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Teri, those are really beautiful! You're quite an artist and there's nothing better than creating beautiful things from bits and pieces of stuff.

    As for the felt, I have to tell you that you are not the only one - I recently donated all my felt (and there was a lot!) to charity. Ya, I had grand felt plans too but after years of looking at it just sitting around I finally said to myself, "Felt? What on earth was I thinking?" and got rid of it. I hope whoever ended up with it found good use for it.

    Thanks for the comments you left on my blog. I've enjoyed reading your blog for quite a while now. You're very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I know that I have seen them in person and you know how much I loved them. With that said, it is so fun seeing them on your blog. It just adds that little something. Maybe it's the way you sound like a stark-raving-lunatic!!! Love them, love you!! You crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute! I love piles of crap that turn out beautiful!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Teri!! You are the master of creating wall art!! I love the whole decorating on a dime's budget concept. So exciting to create new life out of things that have lost their zip!!! The colour palette is great. Hey, I got rid of my felt supply when I set up the studio. I had grand plans of making felt flowers that Amy Oxford did a tutorial on. Amy's were awesome but who was I kidding to think that I would actually make these. hee hee Have a great week!

    P.S. I am so happy that you are blogging regularly again. I look forward to your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. DUDE that is awe-some! I love it. So fabulous. And HEY! I have that canvas!

    Not really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fun and clever project idea!! love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love what you did with the fabric - BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks for letting me know. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete

If you type something below it will make the sun shine and the flowers bloom and all the world's children sing hand-in-hand. If you don't, someone, somewhere, will kick a puppy. You don't want to have that on your conscience, now do you?