Saturday, October 23, 2010

5 fibs and a truth

So Mandi from Tidbits from the Tremaynes is one of the funniest bloggers I've ever come across. Plus she's super inspiring and wickedly creative. Best of all, she makes Wayne's World references.

Clearly, she's my virtual BFF.

Go check her out, now. Now, I say!

So she gave me this:

(Thanks, Mandi!)

And now I have to give 5 fibs and a truth, and it's up to you to decide what's what. Everybody ready?

1. I once got a ticket for passing a clearly-marked Oregon state trooper. Yes, I saw he was a state trooper before I did it. No, it was not one of my more intelligent moments.

2. I am probably the only person in the world to have seen the Backstreet Boys, Eminem, Keith Urban, Hole, ZZ Top, and Weird Al Yankovic in concert. "Eclectic" is an understatement.

3. Though I'm not at all Hungarian, I grew up in a heavily-Hungarian area and took Hungarian Immersion and Hungarian as a second language from Kindergarten to grade 12. This came in particularly handy when I had to tell a particularly belligerent restaurant patron that no, you cannot have garlic bread without the garlic, and please stop shaking the pepper shaker at me, you odd little man.

4. One time I was in a plane that nearly crashed. I didn't know what was going on, so when the whole plane shook and the everything hit the ceiling, I was so nervous that I started giggling. Turns out, the pre-9/11 curtain that enclosed the cock-pit swung back during the turbulence and other passengers saw us headed for the ground. Come to think of it, they probably didn't appreciate the teenager giggling at the back of the plane. Huh.

5. A few years back, I went on a week-long hike through the Valhalla mountains in British Columbia. Fancying myself a real outdoorsman, I used my compass and left the main trail. It rained the whole time. While traversing a huge glacial moraine, I slipped and wedged my leg between two wet boulders, breaking it severely. Because I was no longer on trail I'd mapped out for my family, I had to keep going, or risk being eaten by a grizzly bear or a sasquatch or something, so I splinted my leg and kept walking...uphill...for miles and miles. When I was three days late arriving home, Search and Rescue was called out. Luckily, in the midst of dense fog, I'd managed to hear a child calling out to hear the sound of his own voice from a ranger station near the top of a mountain. I called back, and I followed his voice to the station, where they radioed for help and I was picked up in a helicopter. I was in a walking cast for weeks, but glad to be safely home.

6. My pet peeves include rudeness, gum anywhere other than in the garbage can or in someone's mouth, and feet. Not feet as in hooves, but feet as in 12 inches. I go metric all the way, baby.

Ok - any guesses?

I'm passing along this Creative Blogger award to...
  • Adrienne, the woman of a thousand brilliant ideas, from Happenscraps, Etc.
  • Jennifer, the woman I am convinced never makes a scrapbook page that is anything less than scrappy perfection, from Scrapping Daze
  • Susan, a new blogger who inspired me this morning with the most adorable little crocheted flowers, from My Paper Passion
(Thanks for inspiring me to be creative, Mandi, Adrienne, Jennifer, and Susan!)

6 comments:

  1. Hey Teri!! Thanks for the blog award!! You are the master at creative writing so it is really hard to figure out which story is the truth!!! This is like an episode of "Urban Legends". Since I see you as a very eclectic person who would be very opened to many styles and experiences in life, I am guessing #2. What a fun post and can't wait to read the results! Are you guys getting snow? Yuck!!! We are still fine here although it is a bit chilly out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teri, Thanks for the award! Yikes, you have snow already?!? Our family is moving to Edmonton soon and whenever I mention it to anybody the first thing they say is, "it's cold there". As long as we don't have to deal with blistering, hot, humid summers anymore I think we'll be fine. As for the crocheted flowers, they are very simple to make. You only need to be able to do a chain stitch, single crochet and double crochet. It takes about 10 minutes to complete a flower. Onto your fibs and truth now - I'm wavering between #2 and #6 but, considering that you did give measurements in inches in one of your previous posts, that would seem to indicate that you don't actually go metric all the way, baby. ;-) Considering also that you seem like a person who really likes to have fun and is open-minded, I'm guessing it's a good bet that you have actually seen that eclectic mix of artists in concert. Thanks for the very amusing read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap I hope it is not #4 or #5, 'cause those are freak-ay. I'm going to go with #2. The reason: we are virtual BFF, and I have seen the Backstreet Boys in concert, I happen to like Weird Al (and Eminem in a strange way, oh and ZZ Top too actually), and I like a lot of different stuff as well. Lots a different stuff. So that's my guess!

    And thanks for the sweet stuff you said about me. If it were only true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm your sister so I guess it wouldn't be fair for me to ruin it for everyone else but I'm pretty sure I know which one is the truth! You are too funny! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I call 'bullshit'!! All of 'em! Not a shred of truth to any of them. Thanks for the 'nod'! I appreciate it.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol ! you're always a great read, Teri ! i soo enjoyed allll your fibs today !!! bwahahah ! yeah calling your bluff .....yikes!

    ReplyDelete

If you type something below it will make the sun shine and the flowers bloom and all the world's children sing hand-in-hand. If you don't, someone, somewhere, will kick a puppy. You don't want to have that on your conscience, now do you?