Thursday, October 28, 2010

Here's da fibs...

So we've had some guesses, but here'r the answers...

1. I once got a ticket for passing a clearly-marked Oregon state trooper. Yes, I saw he was a state trooper before I did it. No, it was not one of my more intelligent moments.
Actually, it was a Washington state trooper. Fib.

2. I am probably the only person in the world to have seen the Backstreet Boys, Eminem, Keith Urban, Hole, ZZ Top, and Weird Al Yankovic in concert. "Eclectic" is an understatement.
I've seen 'em all...except Weird Al. Although, that would probably be fun, too. Fib.

3. Though I'm not at all Hungarian, I grew up in a heavily-Hungarian area and took Hungarian Immersion and Hungarian as a second language from Kindergarten to grade 12. This came in particularly handy when I had to tell a particularly belligerent restaurant patron that no, you cannot have garlic bread without the garlic, and please stop shaking the pepper shaker at me, you odd little man.
It was Russian...and the restaurant thing never happened, though I'd love it if it would!

4. One time I was in a plane that nearly crashed. I didn't know what was going on, so when the whole plane shook and the everything hit the ceiling, I was so nervous that I started giggling. Turns out, the pre-9/11 curtain that enclosed the cock-pit swung back during the turbulence and other passengers saw us headed for the ground. Come to think of it, they probably didn't appreciate the teenager giggling at the back of the plane. Huh.
This one's actually true. I was 16. We took the bus home after that.

5. A few years back, I went on a week-long hike through the Valhalla mountains in British Columbia. Fancying myself a real outdoorsman, I used my compass and left the main trail. It rained the whole time. While traversing a huge glacial moraine, I slipped and wedged my leg between two wet boulders, breaking it severely. Because I was no longer on trail I'd mapped out for my family, I had to keep going, or risk being eaten by a grizzly bear or a sasquatch or something, so I splinted my leg and kept walking...uphill...for miles and miles. When I was three days late arriving home, Search and Rescue was called out. Luckily, in the midst of dense fog, I'd managed to hear a child calling out to hear the sound of his own voice from a ranger station near the top of a mountain. I called back, and I followed his voice to the station, where they radioed for help and I was picked up in a helicopter. I was in a walking cast for weeks, but glad to be safely home.
Nope - this one happened to my dad when I was five. Ironically, we got lost dropping him off in a seeming labyrinth of logging roads and my poor mother spent the night in our minivan with 6 kids (some her own, some the neighbours') with no food, water, or blankets. The next morning, we were lucky to come across a logger who gave us directions and enough gas to get there.

6. My pet peeves include rudeness, gum anywhere other than in the garbage can or in someone's mouth, and feet. Not feet as in hooves, but feet as in 12 inches. I go metric all the way, baby.
All but the inches, though it'd be nice if we could all get on the same page with that one.

Thanks for playing along, everyone!

7 comments:

  1. Wow!! I never would have guessed the crazy plane story was the truth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. crazy...i loved reading the truths/half lies!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, didn't think it was the plane story! Scary experience for sure. Thanks for all the fun stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy.crap. I can't believe it was the plane story. Are you still afraid? I'd still be afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heyyyy, Teri!! Are you out there somewhere? LOL Just wanted to let you know that you are one of the winners in my blog giveaway. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Teri!! So exciting that you won some of Susan's beautiful flowers!!! I am getting a stash next week when Susan comes house hunting! She will be one of us good old Alberta girls before we know it!! Thanks for all your sweet comments on my little Lady!! I am enjoying her sooo much although she did pee on my bedroom carpet this morning. :( Who would of thought that you should not sit a dog who is not 100% house trained, on a carpet first thing in the morning???? Duh I'll take the heat on this one. ;) I left you a little something on my blog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG at the plane experience , hun !!!! you sure are a great story teller !!!!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete

If you type something below it will make the sun shine and the flowers bloom and all the world's children sing hand-in-hand. If you don't, someone, somewhere, will kick a puppy. You don't want to have that on your conscience, now do you?